Day 53: Fri 17 Jun - Yungaburra
15 – 21°. It was a mild morning and the breeze got up a little earlier than the previous days. It also started drizzling at about 08:00am, and with the wind it became quite fresh. It remained overcast and windy for the rest of the day. Greg and I set off on the lake for a paddle at 7:00am to return the kayaks to Dave who lives towards the other end of the lake. On the way, we ventured up narrow creek to see if we could spot any platypus - and I did, but i have no photographic evidence so you'll have to take my word for it. It was such an amazing feeling to actually see a platypus in the wild. Sheltered by the high banks, and overhanging trees, the creek was so calm and peaceful - I could imagine myself doing this more often. We returned the kayaks to Dave by a little after 8:00am, then Wendy drove around to take us back to our vans. At 9:30, Noeleene and I drove into Yungaburra to meet up with my Uncle Geoff and Aunty Sharon from Mackay and their daughter Cathy and her two boys (who live in Atherton) for coffee at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Geoff and Sharon are visiting Cathy at Atherton for a few days, but we have all been so busy, this was the only opportunity we had to catch up. We spent almost 2 hours chatting and catching up over coffee. We saw Geoff and Sharon last year when we stayed in the van on their property near Mt Ossa, north of Mackay, but haven't seen my cousin Cathy since she was about 6 years old - she's turning 40 this year. It was a short reunion, but nice to catch up again. Noeleene and I then drove on to Atherton to fuel up and top up on a few groceries, then we returned to the van, where I started packing up and preparing for our departure tomorrow. Meanwhile Noeleene gave the inside of the van a good clean, and folded the washing she did in the morning. At 5:00pm, we went with Greg and Wendy to Dave and Noy's house for dinner. After showing us though their lovely garden with all sorts of tropical fruit, vegetables and chickens, we ventured on to the upper deck for an afternoon drink with wonderful views across to Lake Tinaroo. Before long, we were called down for dinner by Noy who cooked and served individually prepared Chicken or Seafood Pad Thai and Thai Chicken fried rice- it tasted superb. Dave is a great guy, a bit of a larrikin, and told us many great yarns about his days flying aircraft in Zimbabwe and Malawi. We had a lovely evening before bidding Dave and Noy farewell, heading back to our vans. Tomorrow we move on to Chillagoe, a historic copper mining town with limestone caves and aboriginal rock paintings, located to the west of the Atherton Tablelands. Our stay at Yungaburra has been lovely; I would definitely come back to stay again.
 |
| Venturing up a creek off Lake Tinaroo |
 |
| So calm and and quiet |
 |
| Venturing further up the creek |
 |
| Greg enjoying the surrounds in the narrow creek |
 |
| Atherton - not much to see here, but i did came to the realisation that the Court House is often the best looking building in QLD Towns... |
 |
| A busy main street - everyone must have come to Atherton to do their shopping today |
 |
| View from Dave and Noy's Deck |
 |
| Dave, me, Noel, Noy, Wendy and Greg |
Ha ha I would have just checked out their gardens from afar😂😂and if I could hear those chickens I would have stayed inside😩
ReplyDelete