Day 74: Fri 8 Jul - Karumba
14 (felt like 10) to 27 Deg. It was another cloudless day, but the early strong SE wind made it feel much cooler. Thankfully it settled by midday and turned into a lovely sunny winter's day in the Gulf. It was a fairly quiet day in comparison to most others this trip, and quite relaxing. It started with a morning walk on my own around Karumba Point for about an hour followed by breakfast back at the van. I then spent a couple of hours catching up on some personal admin, while Noel went out for grocery shopping for the next week, then she returned and got busy cleaning inside the van. I got out of her way and went for a short ride. After lunch, a nana nap before we headed into the the Les Wilson Barramundi Discovery Centre for an in-depth 'Behind the Scenes' guided tour of a barramundi hatchery that breeds the Southern Gulf strain of Barramundi. The centre is a state of the art new Interpretive Centre which includes the history, lifecycle and habits of the Barramundi in the southern Gulf region. At $58 per head, it seemed a little expensive, but it was very informative, and the fees go to a very good cause. It was a very worthwhile experience.
A quick stop at the butcher on the way back to the van to purchase meat for the next week, then I hopped on my bike again, with fishing gear in hand, and headed down to Karumba Point for a couple of hours fishing until sunset. I had no luck, but it was very relaxing. I only lost one plastic, but found two sinkers, so I believe I came out in front. Back at the van for dinner, I had some local King Salmon which I bought yesterday (I wasn't confident of catching anything) - and it was beautiful. We were a bit frustrated today with the lack of phone and internet service, but we're only here for a few days. Many of the locals deal with this frustration regularly. One local businessman suggested the reason is overuse by visitors, but I suspect they tolerate it because of the money that visitors spend in town. Maybe it's time Telstra made improvements to meet the growing demand.
Wow those sunrise and sunset pics are beautiful. Good to see u guys are loving life as …. Nomads😀
ReplyDelete